Right now, I'm working on playing a piece of music by J.S. Bach - the Prelude to Partita no. 3 for Solo Violin, to be exact. In case you're not a musician, or have never played Bach, let me just tell you: Bach has to be perfect. Every pitch must be perfectly in tune, the sound must be deep and ringing, every note played must be precisely placed. There are quite a few techniques I'm working on with this piece, but certainly one of the most important is intonation. I find as I'm playing a certain passage, if a single note is not perfectly in tune, the whole passage begins to creep out of tune. This creep is so subtle, sometimes I don't even realize I'm wrong until I check the note with an open string.
The same is true with my Christian walk. I can be happily chugging along, living out my day, but if I haven't checked my life with God's word recently, I can be terribly out of tune without even realizing it. Just like Bach must be played perfectly, Jesus asks that I live perfectly. Of course, to be perfect is not possible on this side of heaven - but to strive for it, to cling to what is Good, to serve God in truth and love - these are things that are always working themselves out in my life. Still, I must be daily tuned in to Christ and His Word for these things to work themselves out properly. Otherwise, my life will be like my Bach - slowly sneaking out of tune. Every day, I practice my Bach and work on getting the notes more precise, more in tune, deeper and more resonant. And every day, I should be working out my faith just as diligently, striving for every thought, every action I take to be lined up with God's Word.
This is a beautiful analogy...so very true!
ReplyDelete